Bill -

Older Astron power supplies can continue to give good service, there is no reason to replace it unlessit seems to have a problem.

One of the things that does go bad in these supplies, particularly ones of this vintage, is that the main filter capacitor "loses its microfarads"(dries out). The capacitor has to handle a fairly large ripple current, especially if the power supply is working hard, and that in turn can have detrimental effects onthe big capacitor. I recently encountered a RS-35A with exactly that symptom, the power would dip momentarily at voice peaks when running a 100-watt transceiver. The voltage was fine for receiving and anything less than full output, but when a big voice (or CW) peak came along that demanded more than about 16 amperes from the supply, it lost regulation, which caused all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen to the transceiver -such as loss of PLL lock, frequency shifting, mode shifting, and so on. .

The cure was to replace the 30,000 uFd / 30V capacitor in the RS-35A with a newunit. As it turned out, new capacitors of that exact specification were a bit hard to find, and expensive, but a search of theMouser catalog turned up a great choice. I found a 33,000 uFd / 35 volt unit for a reasonable price (about $35.00 including priority mail postage). The new cap is both a bit smaller (physically) than the original, and has significantly better specifications. The Mouser part number is 647-LNT1V333MSE. The new capacitor has the same connection terminal spacing, so the control board just bolted on. I did mount the board slightly differently, but that is justpersonal preference. The original mounting method will work fine.

Here (I hope) isa direct link to the Mouser catalog page: 647-LNT1V333MSE <https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=LNT1V333MSEvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-LNT1V333MSE>

Result: The oldAstron gets new lease on life - it works just like brand new, and I expect may more yearsof service.

Perhaps the Astron RS-35A that you have is still working OK, but it may be getting a bit creaky, so to speak. Replacing the main filter cap can't hurt, and will go a long way toward insuring trouble free operation for years to come.

YMMV, of course. No connection with any vendors or manufacturers, just satisfied with the results at what I considered a fair price. Any yes, I thought about some of the large computer power supply caps that were in my junk box, and I might have tried one if it was "close" - but after a bit of thought, the new unit was a better choice and might in the long run prove to be less expensive. Asurplus unit could have its own problems, possibly causing a more catastrophic failure.

- Jim, KL7CC