Don,
Given the myriad of stories about Tom not answering email, why in the world wouldn't you ask for his phone number? This seems a recipe for frustration to me.

And honestly, Tom's explanation sounds like more excuse making to me. It isn't really hard to answer emails, and I'm pretty sure if someone is smart enough to design and antenna, he or she is certainly smart enough to answer emails. My feeling is that Tom feels like he has enough customers and probably only responds to emails from guys he's heard of or his buddies.

73 and good luck, you'll probably need it.

Scott, N9AA