DOH! - It all seems so obvious now - for one thing, I could not use my existing control cable (without the KIO2) because the barefoot K2 has no place to plug it in!

I now understand that:

(1) the KIO2 includes a new DB9 connector for the barefoot K2 rear panel, and

(2) that one of the functions of the KIO2 (in addition to level shifting, etc, for computer control) is provide an internal interconnnection for the AUXBUS and other control signals from Control Board ribbon cable connector of the barefoot K2 to the new DB9 connector, from which the signals can be conveyed (via control cable) to the KPA100/KAT100 in the new box.

Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

Bob, WO3E