Hi all,

If you have occasional loss of audio or crackling sounds coming from your KX3's
internal speaker, especially at high volume levels, you should take a look at
the speaker connector to make sure it is plugged in correctly. We just
discovered that if the connector is plugged in backwards, performance can be
compromised. In fact this was the case with one of my lab-test KX3s. Reversing
the connector eliminated an intermittent dropout I had been hearing.

This may apply to either kit or factory assembled KX3s, although we're now
making sure that the orientation is correct when we do assembly.

Details:

The 2-pin female connector for the speaker can be oriented in two ways. One way
puts the plastic housing very close to the speaker (wrong), while the other
results in a gap of about 0.1" (right). The correct orientation is shown in
figure 17 of of the KX3 Assembly Manual. There are two small slots on the
plastic housing through which the female contacts can be seen. If these slots
are visible, the connector is plugged in the right way.

If you plug it in backwards, the plastic housing will press up against a boss
on the speaker. This can push one of the female contacts away from the male
pin, resulting in an intermittent connection. The speaker may then be subject
to cutting out in a way that resembles static, saturation, or distortion.

Another thing you can do to improve internal speaker sound is to use revision
1.41 or later KX3 firmware (the current beta release). This release modifies
the audio passband and gain distribution when the internal is speaker is used,
reducing the possibility of distortion.

73,
Wayne
N6KR