Mike,

The reason is that for small 4:1 baluns, you need more turns of wire on them to get the necessary inductance, more turns means a smaller wire to fit, and a smaller wire means the impedance of the two wire transmission line is not optimum for a 4:1 balun. You will have a high SWR just due to the balun. However, I have made many small 1:1 baluns using several turns of RG-174 on a toroidal core, by placing ferrite beads (12 FB43-801 beads work nicely) on the outside of a piece of RG-174, or just winding a bifilar pair of #22 enamel insulated magnetic wire on a toroidal core. You need a F114-43 or a F140-43 core to get enough impedance for 80 meters, although a smaller core will work for 40 up. Palomar sells a BA-58 bead kit for RG-58. Actually, a 1:1 balun works as well on a random length transmission line as a 4:1 balun. Unless the load is a predictable 200 ohms or there about like you get on an OCF antenna, the impedance of an open wire feed line is just as likely to be near than 50 ohms as it is near 200 ohms. You also can use a Low Power balun for 100 watts like the Elecraft balun kit, or the one on the NJQRP web site.

DXE baluns are for high power, are large and heavy, and cost a lot of money.

73,  Chas W1CG