Hi all,

I have an early serial number K2 which has been upgraded to the latest
mods as of maybe nine months ago.

I purchased from Elecraft the Heil headset subsequent to the mods, after
my $2 computer headset wore out.

I use the K2 every day on a 75 meter traffic net.

Have had reports of soft audio. Crisp, but with low modulation. This is
from several, all running zillion watt radios.

The ALC only shows one bar on voice peaks unless I speak unnaturally
loudly, then it may hit 2 or very rarely 3 bars. Same with any other
mike.

Am running SSBA-3, SSBC-3

On air tests say SSBC-2 sounds better locally with strong signals, but
SSBC-3 sounds better in crowded 75 meter evening QSOs. Have experimented,
and never see more than one or two ALC bars.

Question -- is this normal? Radio seems to be perfect otherwise, and I
get a kick relaying two KW stations to each other on a net who can't hear
each other, when I keep my power down to 5 watts to qualify as QRP.

I found a mic preamp kit I had bought a good while back from someone.
Don't have it in front of me. Small PC board which mounts on the back of
the mic header. Would that help/is it necessary?

Seems the Elecraft/Heil headset should drive the thing properly.

I normally am soft spoken, and I can key the VOX reliably if I remember
to speak up. If I don't, it will drop before I want it to, with the delay
set at one second. I never use VOX but thought it might provide useful
info.

Any inputs appreciated.

Tks ... Steve WA3SWS     K2 s/n 661

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"