for your Iphone/pad field day logger, take a look at an app called hamlog in
the app store.  it may fit the bill.  I beleive they even have an interface
available for the K/(x)3 that can be obtained.

From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On
Behalf Of Wayne Burdick [n...@elecraft.com]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:39 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector; k...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Elecraft] 4-pound Field Day, anyone?

Hi all,

This year I'm going to break with tradition and *not* drag tons of gear to my
field-day site. I'm going minimal….4 pounds max of radio gear. This will allow
me to put more emphasis on food, drink, and enjoying time with my son (now
almost 9). If anyone else is up for "FD4#", let me know. I'd like to compare
notes on equipment, especially antennas, battery packs, and logging.

4 pounds (or so) is not an arbitrary number. This allows for:

- a KX3 with internal ATU and attached paddle
- mic and headphones
- external Li battery, plus 8 internal AA batteries in the rig as a backup
- two 50' (roughly) lengths of antenna wire, adapters, and a couple of 1-oz
weights to get one wire into a tree
- paper log and dupe sheets (maybe…more on this below)
- soft carrying case for all of the above (in my case, a Think Tank "Strobe
Stuff" bag)

I still expect to be reasonably competitive in the 1B-battery category even
with this lightweight station. I hope to operate on 80-6 meters in CW, SSB, and
digital modes (RTTY using the CW paddle and the KX3's text decode function).

There are two items I'm still working on:

1. External battery

I need something that will fit into the bottom of the Strobe Stuff bag. It
should supply at least 11 V, and I'd prefer 4 to 5 AH, though I could get by
with 3 AH and switch to the internal AAs later if necessary. Has any consensus
formed about specific Li battery packs in this class? Ideal max size would be
1x3x2.5" (HWD).

2. Logging

I actually like paper logging in the field. It's kind of a Zen thing, checking
dupe sheets manually (Griffin is old enough to help with this, too). But are
there any good FD apps for the iPhone? I need the iPhone anyway so it doesn't
count towards the station weight total. If there's an app that's easy to use
for this, I'd love to try it. Heck, I'd even pay for it.

Wayne
N6KR