David - Those are very good reasons to keep UHF connectors.
The impendence mismatch of UHF is probably far less than the other
mismatches in the line/antenna.
Not to mention that BNC come in 2 flavors - 50 ohm & 75 ohm. A 75 ohm BNC in
a 50 ohm system will have a far worse mismatch than the worst UHF (not
shorted of course); not to mention that 50 ohm & 75 ohm connectors can be
intermittent if mixed and a "booger" to find because the pins are a slightly
different diameter. Don't ask how long it took us to discover this and
finally correct it in a plant with thousands of BNC connectors installed
over a 30 year span (TV broadcasting & OB production/live units).

The UHF connector is easy to make up properly, rugged mechanically, able to
be waterproofed and it fits large cables well and has adaptors for smaller
diameter cables.

BNCs are good for small cables, need a higher level of skill to make-up
properly (crimp is recommended) & they should have waterproofing as well
unless not in direct contact with liquids. BNCs make the ground first. If in
a high static area they would be preferred. BNCs take-up far less panel
space than either a UHF or type-N connector.

Type N connectors are wonderful - good match to 50 ohms, strong
mechanically, available for most RF lines (I've used them from RG 58 to 3"
hard copper), inherently waterproof (still waterproof them if outside in the
weather & they also make the ground first. They are the most expensive of
the 3 major types and like BNC must be ordered for the cable type used.

Won't even discuss RCA connectors for RF but they too have a place in some
equipment.

There is no universal RF connector - yet. Don't believe me just browse a
Pasternack or Bracke catalog for all the different RF connectors in use
today.

73
George
AI4VZ