Howdy Buck,

The first thing that comes to mind is that a strait key has something
on top of it, but I sure you checked that.  Is it possible that there
is a short in a keying circuit or maybe a foot switch that has
something on it or is shorted out while the rig is set in the CW
mode?

I don't think having either situation could cause transmit unless the
rig is in CW or data mode.

Is the TX LED lit up?

Good luck finding it...

73,