Hi Ken,
Assuming you have the crystal filter adjustment where you want it in
Spectragram, they tend to not to be as brick wall as the DSP, but still are
very good for a single adjustable crystal filter.  However, the crystal
filters are in the IF and they are needed to cut out adjacent interference
that would pulse the AGC like crazy and make the signal you want to hear
unreadable if you were only using the audio DSP filters. (At least I think
that’s how  the agc works).

So for operating you need to start wide open, and then you need to start
narrowing the bandwidth first using the Xfil settings.  Once you narrow it
down so the adjacent interference is not causing the desired signal to
degrade, then you can add a bit of the DSP filtering to sharpen up the
skirts.  I have the narrower dsp settings with a lot of audio boost so they
really pop out of the background.

That’s how I do it.  Both the crystal (IF) and DSP (AF) have a purpose and
individual advantage, but should really be used together.

Steve, W2MY