Hi Ian and all.

What you depicted Ian is what any FLEX-RADIO radio could do. It could be really useful for phone and somewhat interesting for other modes. Having a span of 200 KHz is really a big chunk of data to be shown and not all humans could drive safely over it, let me say, with a monitor smaller than 20/25" (still small I think). To have, at this wide span, a smooth usage for any signal mode you also will need such a bigger than big monitor. Phone would leave the largest trace, so it could be viewed even in smallest monitor. Having a waterfall to look at could be even a more interesting thing, as it add persistence and we could recognize those persistent patterns much well. So also CW and other tight modes may take advantages on what you pictured out, even with the smaller screens, but still not < 20"/19". But then we will frantically run on each signal pattern, clicking it and also spinning that VFO knob to get onto each signal as to decode it. It could be that having such a span or a smaller span would not permit you to check into what you see in a way good enough to decode, by ears and, worse, by machine. I could imagine that it would not be easy onto smallest, or even smaller, monitors give the touch and feel of point and click smoothness to everyone. (BTW the bigger the screen, the bigger distance from it that anybody would need to see it all, without having to turn the head head or it will will me a great ergonomic exercise)

A second mouse, not contesting (but ... follow me), would not be a problem. Part of the solution could be to have a trackball/s, instead of two mouse. This woult at times, limit the real eastae needed on our desk and give a precise place where the mouse live. Not having it running all the way on top of the desk (this late sound as a cage(?)). I had used two PCs and one single PC to do SO2R RTTY, WAE and JARTS, the second solution is much more agreeable for me. But this is a whole different story as the devices for two PC are a bunch compared to just one mouse more.

I am coming from almost 3 years of FLEX usage and RTTY contesting, so my experience couldn't be enough to se all the scenario. Anyway those are my two cents.

Let me grab some more space of a fringe items that already popped out here ... About programs, loggers, and radios it's a whole different story. About this I am not only driven by my short FLEX and RTTY contesting background. We don't have right now loggers that could be enough inside any radio as to give a single point of focus, BTW on the PC. Action is there on the screen, eyes, and in our hears. Hands are to be moved by the small possible amount. Right now we are still traveling a lot, if not too much, in between the radio front panel, the mouse (guess what I use), the keyboard and the screen. So giving that elusive multiplier or DX signal all the time to disappear. Even when we could use external VFO knobs that could live on the desk we are still prone to some programmers that misunderstand the whole approach forcing us to focus and un-focus, back and forth several times, un-synced at all, the logger and the virtual knob application. Now, since Tmate and brand specific products, those virtual knobs are much better. Somebody that wrote the software was listening, at last.

It's really a hard world, good products, but with near zero integration. RS232 isn't anymore a great form of digital data (not signals!) transport for integration, foggy me.

IMHO by now the K3/P3 represent , with its intrinsics good RF qualities and its large catalog of CAT commands one of the best best in class for RTTY contests (let me try it in the VOLTA). But only if you have enough MACRO buttons that could accommodate the CAT commands as I need. Not all Loggers are make in the same way, several of those out they still mimics old Borland interfaces and DOS commands ... just because this was the way, that "was" is gone since then, but it seems to me that nobody cares of.

Ian your suggestion, view, is a great idea to be used from inside the radio, with just some personal concerns about screen real estate and the usefulness of the rendering on small, <20" screens. I vote for it, if it's the case. It could be a way as more people get acquainted to something new.

I wold also vote to have more granularity, atomicity, stepping, in the Filter Width knob, 50 Hz seems to much, half of it would be better at half the times.

Hope my poor English would make all this sound to anybody not too stinky.

                                      73 de iw1ayd Salvo

BTW I would also vote, too much(?), for a TMATE like for the K3/P3, why not! But from inside it, not from the PC! I could see myself running SO2R, with two of those toys under the left hand, short move to reach each of the two. With one trackball and two screens, all the CAT commands needed MACROed. OK, OK, I will stay asleep. The front panel is definitively gone for the most repetitive tasks. Almost all is on the desk.