That observation extends to a variety of "things that should work but don't," not just electronics. Over the years, I've noted several troubleshooting rules in my engineering notebooks. Some examples:

1. Unless there was a fire, and sometimes even then, it usually is *not* the worst possible problem although that seems to be a common assumption at first. "Nuts! I must have blown the PA's," when the fuse to the PA power supply just quit [they actually do that].

2. If it worked fine for a long time, and no one changed any of the code, it is very unlikely to be a programming bug so don't start tweaking and recompiling.

3. If it worked fine for a long time and "no one changed anything," the odds are very very high it's pilot error. If your K3 receiver seems dead on one band, check the ANT 1/2 switch setting on that band first. The radio remembers it by band, you may not.

4. If someone gave me a buck for every time I spent days or weeks and exhausted every source trying to debug a function, only to ultimately discover that the code actually doesn't call that function anymore, I'd have retired much earlier.

5.  Is it plugged in?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org