Thanks for the responses.

I've come across a possible solution from redpark.com, who sells an
iPad/iPhone-to-DB9 cable with some smarts inside, to provide either TTL or
RS-232 level communication directly with an external device.

I realize I will need a custom cable between this one and the K2's AUX I/O
connector (do NOT attempt to plug it into the rig directly), but that
shouldn't be a problem.

The Redpark RS-232 cable comes in two flavors - one that uses UART pins on
the 30-pin connector, and one that uses USB pins. They recommended the USB
version ("C2-DB9V" cable) in my case, as there may be some unresolved issue
with iOS 6.1.x when using the UART version. Redpark provides an Xcode SDK
for communicating with the serial device through their cable. From the
coding standpoint the SDK is the same regardless of which (USB/UART) cable
is used.

Since this isn't an Apple-blessed setup, apps developed for it are for
private/internal use only and will not be allowed for sale (or even for
free) in the Apple Store, but it may be just the ticket for my needs.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
..