I have been trying to get my CM500 headset running with my K3. Using the MH2 mic plugged into the front panel with MIC SEL to FP.L bias in the voice modes (AM, FM SSB, & CS) while MIC SEL is set to rP.L bias for the DATA modes. MIC+LIN is set to On for all modes. This setup works well using VOX for transmitter keying in DATA and manually turning VOX off and using PTT when I run voice modes. (I'm mostly a DATA A and AFSK A operator.)

If I plug the microphone from the CM500 into the rear panel of the K3, and change MIC SEL to rP.L bias, this division between voice modes and data mode no longer works. Noise in the shack keys the transmitter, and I assume is added to the output signal -- not good.

So, my current plan, unless someone says, "Hey Dummy!", is to build an interface box which plugs into the front panel MIC connector to route the audio from the CM500 to the K3. I can include a jack for a foot switch to do PTT and set it up so the MH2 is also available. (Thanks Don for the pointer to Universal Radio for the Mic connectors.)

My questions are: What to do with the other 3 lines? I can add buttons to UP and DOWN lines to provide another way for tuning the radio, but what does the FUNCTION line do? And, can I parallel the Mic audio from the CM500 and the MH2 or would it be better to switch them? (Fewer switches and modes will make my wife, KI6SLX happier.)

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV