I attended the RTTY forum today at Dayton, and one of the presentations was
from Larry, K8UT about a mechanism that he uses when doing S&P in RTTY Contests
-- he calls it "Adaptive RX", and it's described in his program documentation
for a utility that he wrote to control his Icom rig -
http://www.k8ut.com/tiki-index.php?page=CI-Vfilter+Utility+Documentation#CI-Vfilter_Utility

As I understand it, he detects VFO frequency changes, and "time on frequency"
to expand/narrow the RTTY filters dynamically, so that they're wider as the
frequency is changing (moving up/down the band), and when the 'dwell time' on a
frequency exceeds a certain specifiable time, narrows, as it's expected that
the VFO is stopped on a signal.

Larry's implemented it by a 'serial filter' of the his Icom's serial stream,
and something similar could be done for the K3... but that sure seems like
something cool that could be built in, eventually.

-Brian N9ADG