It's been argued here for over 200 years and was closer to happening 20-30 years ago than presently. Some military contracts in the 1970s and 80s actually called for the drawings to be metric (this was later dropped). Oh well, I guess the expense of two sets of wrenches, etc., isn't all that bad (anyone for Whitworth?)

The UK is a strange mix, temperatures in C, petrol sold by the litre, highway signs in miles, beer by the (Imperial) pint.

FWIW, the signs on US Interstate Highway 19 between Tucson and Nogales, Arizona are exclusively in km, although the small green markers on the side of the highway are in miles.

73, Bob N7XY

On Oct 15, 2005, at 6:56 AM, PAøPJE wrote:

We're still waiting for Britain to go metric for 39 years, Bob.
Press your governement to take the decision now, as Ireland just did.
US going metric is a sweet dream, that will simply never happen.
Costs a few bucks now and then, however...

73
Peter, PA0PJE.

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht ----- Van: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Aan: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Verzonden: zaterdag 15 oktober 2005 13:48
Onderwerp: Re: [Elecraft] Mic plug

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

We did  have in the form of Tandy, but they are long gone.
We do, however,   still have Mc Donalds

Hi All,

The local Mc Donald seem to be out of stock on 8 pin mic plugs, though did
offer a Big Mac as an alternate.

The differences between what is available in various countries can be a problem. One gets comfortable with what is available in your own country in terms
of products and vendors when such things may just not exist in other
countries.

One of the minor problems here in the UK in respect to working on USA
sourced radios and test equipment is a lack of small bolts and nuts to USA thread standards. Europe and the Far East seem to be standardised on metric for the
equipment produced there, which makes life a whole lot easier.

Regards,
Bob, G3VVT