Some people use 1/4 inch flexible copper tubing, the kind you use to hook up
the icemaker on a refrigerator. You can hammer the ends flat, drill a hole, and
connect them. It is about $1/foot and reasonably self-supporting.

This appnote at MFJ has some good information on DIY loops:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/antennatalk6.php

wunder
K6WRU