Hi Dick,

I've built all my Elecraft radios and accessories [K2, KX1, K3, P3, KPA500, KAT500, and a W1]. I was 63 when I built the K2, it took a lot of concentration and no building if tired or had a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. I banned the vacuum from the room for the duration.

I built my KX1 when I was 64. Smaller project, tighter quarters, equally hard. I built my K3 [S/N 642] when I was 65. It's all mechanical, but quite a bit of the work required good fine motor coordination. It went OK.

I'm 72 now, about to score another birthday. I *might* consider building a K2, it's all thru-hole parts. I wouldn't build a KX1. I built my KPA500 a year or so ago, like the K3, it's basically mechanical, there are wires and cables to connect. Again, fine motor coordination and reasonably good vision required. The toroid power xfmr is fairly heavy. KAT500 went together fairly quickly.

If you're 85, you might consider the extra cost of the factory assembled unit, especially if you don't have good vision, a way of measuring screws, and generally good dexterity with small parts.

Just my experiences, if I live to 86, given the progress of my old injuries, I doubt I'd build a K3.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org