Bob,

Look at the LEDs for those knobs.
If they are set to Width and Shift, you can change the center frequency with the Shift knob and the width with the Width knob. That is usually good for CW. Push either knob and the LEDs will change to HiCut and LoCut. That is good for SSB and other voice modes. You will not be able to cut the Low a lot, a voice signal must have some content in the 300 to 500 Hz range to preserve intelligibility, but the high side can be cut significantly to reduce high pitched interference without a lot of loss of intelligibility. The voice may lose much of the 'recognizabity' content, but communications can continue.

So bottom line, use Shift and Width for CW and Data modes, and use HiCut and LoCut for voice modes. There are advocates for using Width and Shift for voice modes, but when you change the width, you also must change the shift to maintain intelligibility because both the low and high frequencies are cut. Using HiCut and LoCut for voice is much easier IMHO.

73,
Don W3FPR