On 06/01/2013 01:23 PM, EricJ wrote:
Probably heresy, but there are non-Elecraft solutions to a few ham
situations. Lots of very tiny memory keyers are available that have a
bug mode.

Jackson Harbor's tiny PK-4 memory keyer (1x1.5") is one. It is also
packaged by Palm as the Code Cube to plug into the back of a Palm
paddle. Also available freestanding. It draws around 3 ma in use and
microamps when not.

Eric
KE6US

I'd second this. My outboard keyer is a K12 from K1EL (these days it's the K14, I think). I'm a late-comer to bugs but really enjoy using them. (The collection, unfortunately, is growing.) And while a single-lever paddle may not provide the full feel of a bug (although spacing on the finger pieces aside, one can in fact adjust the gaps on a single-lever to come close), it's the habit of sending individual dahs and "automatic" dits that gets preserved.

So when I and my KX1 hit the field, I'm also out with the K12 in an Altoids tin and a American Morse Equipment mini-B. But then, to each their own! ;-)

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts -- W1PNS