Hello Mike,

Several people have used LiPos in the K2 - I looked into it but I decided it
was too risky. There is a risk of fire/explosion but with suitable
protection the really big risk letting the battery go flat and ruining it. I
have a LiPO pack to power the K2, but it remains external and has a low
voltage warning buzzer.

LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate) cells are saver than LiPo cells. 4 of them in a row are usable for 12 volts transceivers. Working voltage: 3.3 volts x 4 = 13.2 volts. But a balancer (like with LiPo cells) is necessary to prevent overchanging and uneven unloading. Individual cylindrical in shape cells (with bolts as contacts) are avaiable from different stores - balancers as small PCB too (all balancer with 4S are usable). But watch: Neither the cells nor the balancer are cheap!

There are also "ready to use" accus, which contain 4 LiFePo4 cells with the necessary electronic i.e. from Vision, see <http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/251470/Vision-LFP1245-12V-45Ah-LiFePO-4-Battery-Rechargeable>. To use this batteries only a normal loader for lead batteries is necessary. Unfortunately fits the currently available batteries not in the K2.
--
73/72 de Ingo, DK3RED - Don't forget: the fun is the power!
www.qrp4fun.de - dk3...@qrp4fun.de