In a message dated 10/20/05 8:21:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Wow, great info Jim,

You're welcome

> Buy I still wonder why we QRP duded didn't decide to have the QRP
> frequencies in the low power section of the band.  I suspect it is
> because there aren't any signals there ;-)

I think it's because of a bunch of reasons...

There was a time when the Novice subbands were jampacked with signals during
the best operating times. Before the early 1970s, Novices had to use crystal
control, so the QRM was even worse due to most QSOs being effectively "split"
(using two frequencies).

On top of this, since Novices could only use those narrow subbands (only 100
kHz total below 21 MHz), it was considered bad form for higher class licenses
to use those subbands unless they intended to work Novices. Since most QRP
folk were Generals or higher, they tended to avoid the Novice subbands.

--

There have been several proposals to "refarm" the Novice subbands, widen the
'phone subbands, create new entry-level license classes, and offer extended

Anyone who has ever held a Novice license, even if it expired decades ago,
can get Morse Code test credit it if they can provide documentation. So the
only
upgrade tests for Novices are writtens. Similar rules apply to pre-1991
Technicians.

73 de Jim, N2EY