Steve,

I would think your assumptions for the cause may be correct.
BUT -- rather than changing the XV222, I would suggest running a larger gauge wire to the XV222 would be the easiest solution. Assuring that all connections on the power cord are tight and with very low resistance should help a lot.

You could change the reverse polarity protection diode to a 95SQ015 (Elecraft PN E560009) and it may help some, but I would suggest that would be simply masking the real culprit which I suspect is voltage drops in your power wiring.

73,
Don W3FPR