Paul,

An in-line fuse close to the power source is always a good safety precaution. You are protecting the wire against a fault as well as the equipment on the far end of that wire. A 12 gauge wire will safely handle 25 amps - but it will not safely handle the full 70 amp output of your wower supply without vaporizing and possibly spewing molten copper all over your hamshack, and can present a fire possibility.

#10 wire can safely handle 40 amps, but again, not the full output of your 70 am supply.

I encourage you to fuse near the power supply for the wire size that you use for connections from that supply.

The rigrunner is a nice device allowing you to fuse the input for the wire size that you have connected to the supply and also fuse the branch circuits according to the needs of the devices being powered.

I fuse #12 wire at 25 amps and #16 at 10 amps.  #18 gets a 5 amp fuse.

73,
Don W3FPR

Fuse it according to the wire size.