For a K2 or K3, using 2 amps as a reasonable current drain on TX and 50% duty
cycle.  Operating for a 24 hour period -   12h will be on TX.   A safe bet will
be to have a 20Watt panel keeping a 30amp-hour SLA reasonably topped up for
night time operation allowing for a 15 a-h drain maximum will get you 7.5h of
TX time.  Better to have more and not need it than otherwise.  That will be my
set-up for Field Day using a KX3.  Since the current drain on a KX3 is lower
than that of a K2 or a KX3 on TX and RX,  approximately 1 amp on TX, I could
probably get by without a solar panel with a 30 a-h SLA or use 15a-h with a
panel.  For a K2 or K3 in QRP mode I would go the full 30 -h SLA and a panel.
In the above, overestimating the duty cycle approximates the receive duty since
that was not explicitly calculated.

More accurately:
K2 or K3
Outflow = 12h(2 amps) + 12h(0.2 amps) =  26.4 a-h
Inflow = 12h*50%efficiency*1 amp = 6 amp-h
Net Outflow ~ 20 amp hr
Need 40 a-h battery with a 20w panel
So if the TX duty cycle is lower than 50% - you might be able to get by with a
30 a-h battery with a panel

KX3
Outflow = 12h(1 amps) + 12h(0.15 amps) =  13.8 a-h
Inflow = 12h*50%efficiency*1 amp = 6 a-h
Net Outflow ~ 7.8 a-h
Need 16 a-h with a panel or 30 a-h battery without a panel

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 15, 2013, at 10:15 AM, "Philip Townsend Lontz" <phi...@mac.com> wrote:

> So, for Field Day running CW only any ideas about what the required amp hours
> will be?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jun 15, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Michael Babineau <mbabin...@magma.ca> wrote:
>
>> Robert :
>>
>> If you are planning to use Lead-Acid technology (SLA or wet-cell )
>> then, as others have suggested, you should double your calculated capacity,
>> as you never want
>> to drain a Lead-Acid battery by more than 50% ..
>>
>> so
>>
>> 10 hr requires 7 Ah
>> 20 hr requires 15 Ah
>> etc.
>>
>> The reality is that you will probably spend somewhat more than 50% of the
>> time listening and tuning around
>> for stations when you are S&P so the real split may be more like 30% TX and
>> 70% RX, but 50/50 is probably
>> a good guess.
>>
>> One further point .. don't discharge a Lead acid battery below 10.5 v.
>> Repeatedly doing this will shorten
>> its lifespan.  Don's suggestion of setting the low voltage indication on the
>> K2 to 11v is a good idea.
>>
>> For picnic-table-portable operations, battery booster packs (intended to
>> jump-start cars) work very well
>> and it is easy to find one with an SLA in the 10Ah to 20Ah range, often on
>> sale. You can take the plastic
>> case apart to install some fusing and even powerpole connectors to customize
>> it for your application
>> (I also removed the jumper cables from mine).  Some of these packs now even
>> come with USB ports to allow for impromptu
>> powering/charging of i-Devices.  It is often cheaper to buy one of these
>> than to purchase just the equivalent capacity SLA
>> battery .. so you get a nice carrying case with a handle and other goodies
>> for free.
>>
>> Best of luck ...
>>
>> Michael VE3WMB
>>

>>> From: Robert G Strickland <rc...@verizon.net>
>>> Date: June 14, 2013 6:28:10 PM EDT
>>> To: Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
>>> Subject: [Elecraft] K2 qrp battery drain estimation
>>

>>> If I'm operating a K2 at 5w cw, in S&P contest mode, I compute the current
>>> drain under the stated conditions as follows:
>>
>>> conditions:
>>> 50% listening, 50% transmitting
>>> CW 50% duty cycle
>>
>>> current: