The correct answer is:  Both black wires go to the sleeve of
the 3.5mm plug ("ground").  The red wire from the LEFT speaker
goes to the tip of the 3.5mm plug.  The red wire from the RIGHT
speaker goes to the ring of the 3.5mm plug.

How you manage that transition is up to you.  I put 3.5mm plugs
on both my speakers - the left speaker was connected to tip and
sleeve while the right speaker was connected to ring and sleeve.
Both 3.5mm plugs were connected to a "Y" cable (3.5mm stereo male
to two 3.5mm stereo female) which plugged into the speaker jack.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV