From: Ken G Kopp [mailto:kengk...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:44 PM
To: Terry Schieler
Cc: Walter Underwood; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Reality of "Shipping and Handling"

Rose ships covers and cases all over the world ... or rather I should
say -I- pack and ship them for her. (:-)  I'll wager we're one of the
larger shippers here on the reflector ... with the exception of Elecraft.

Powerwerks is most likely losing money at $6.49, and it has nothing to
do with the cost of the item(s) being shipped.  They will have numerous "hidden
costs" ... all shippers do.  It just depends on how deeply one wants to burry
them.   If one lived in the same town where they're
located, I doubt that you could drive there to pick up an item without
conduming  $6.49 in fuel ... maybe more.  One's time also has a finite
value.

There's address and return labels and likely a label printer to print them,
bags for the item(s) and probably another label on that bag.  Then there's the
shipping packaging, be it a small padded envelope or a carton.  If it's a
carton, there's the cost of "peanuts" or other cushioning material.  "Bubble
pack" is suprisingly expensive. (;-)  Padded envelopes cost
$.50 to $2.50, depending on the size, even bought in 100 lots as we
do.  Don't forget the shipping costs ths shipped pays their suppliers
when they purchase shipping supplis

Oh, and there's the cost of paper and ink for the printer that prints the
packing lists and labor costs of the person(s) who does the shipping operation.

I'll almost guarntee they're losing money at $6.49.