Thanks Lyle, Paul and Jim for your replies.

On 6/20/2013 5:49 PM, K9YC wrote:

> You might want to re-think that, depending on what other radios you
own.  The KX3 with a 100W amp is a world class 100W radio, as good as
anything you can buy for for less than $10K.  Also, I suspect that the
IC703 isn't very clean with respect to phase noise and TX IM products
(check ARRL reviews), so it may not be clean enough to drive an amp to
100W. That could result in some pretty unhappy ham neighbors.

> So just because you can doesn't mean that you should. :)

> If it was me, I'd sell the 703 and buy the KX3.

> 73, Jim K9YC

Jim - there's a method to my madness.

I was planning on getting the KXPA100 as a first step, having read those
reviews about the '703 (which has been a fun radio for me running QRP).

Then, after driving the KXPA100 and seeing if it's not delivering a clean
signal, I can say to the long-suffering Mrs. KC2LST "Wow, I really
miscalculated. Looks like I'm going to NEED to go out and get a KX3 since I
can't put this kind of signal on the air."

Now, I can add "And, K9YC said I'd better get a KX3."

Of course, she will quite rightly say "Didn't you just put a sub-receiver
something-or-other into your K3 a few months ago?"

:-)

Hope to see you all on the air this weekend on Field Day!

73 de Tyler, KC2LST