I've been reading posts about the MH2 mic and have had my own struggles with
it. Is it common knowledge that the mic pickup element is only effective
when talking into the top scree on the mic? If I talk into the front screen
with SSBA at 1, it doesn't pick up a think. When I set SSBA to 2 or 3 is
does pick up audio but I think that's because it is so sensitive it is also
picking it up from the top.

When I opened the mic, I saw the mic element in foam, in a compartment below
the top screen and practically isolated from the screen if front of the mic.
In fact, that front screen looked like it was just a plastic facade.

Is that how mics are suppose to be made? My only guess is, by putting the
capture area on top, it avoids speaking directly into the mic if you are
expecting it to pick up via the front screen.

I have that 600 ohm dynamic Kenwood mic that is often used with the SGC-2020
(up/down buttons on top). I thought about replacing the MH2 with it - mainly
because its slimmer profile would allow it to fit in the Pelican case with
the K2.

Can someone tell me it that Kenwood would be a direct replacement or would I
have to rewire something. It doesn't have a model number on it but I think
it is MC-43s. What about audio quality - the K2 is only the QRP-ish model.

Thank you and 73,
Paul K7NHB