On 6/30/2013 4:42 AM, KF5TEU wrote:
Unfortunately , yes , I do need an amp. . We are going out over 200 mi. from
the nearest real town and if we need help then I would really love to get
through vs. be falsely proud of my QST skills that gets me nothing but dead
air

It's important to understand that the power to run an amp must come from MUCH HEAVIER batteries that must be carried along with the radio. Far better to LEARN how antennas work, learn CW if you don't already know it, and carry the wire and other light weight antenna accessories required to make reliable contacts with stuff you CAN carry.

Putting some numbers to it, a 100W Elecraft rig requires 20A to transmit. A 7Ah battery will give you 20 minutes of transmitting time at 100W, but it will give you more than two HOURS at 5W.

73, Jim K9YC