OT but it is a shame that one cannot readily discern location from the callsign, anymore.

I kept my K8MWA the ten years I lived in CA, but upgraded when I passed the advanced exam in 1982 (at FCC in Anchorage). They assigned me AL7EB. This had me confused all the time with KL7EB, a popular ham in Anchorage, but at least I was not confused with as a rare "K8 dx station" by Alaskans. If I had only gotten EC (my initials) or ED my first name - oh well!

When I upgraded to extra I went for a vanity call and tried for KL7MW as close to my old original license call...but I was not quick enough and it was assigned to someone else. So I went with KL7UW to reflect my interest in micro (u) wave (w).

To get a single suffix call I would have had to chose a weird call like KL8M. There is already KL7M and KL6M in the area. Alaska has run out of KL7, AL7, NL7, WL7, KL0, KL1, and KL2 calls and now issuing KL3 to new licensees.

Another reason to change my call was for CW: . _... is terrible when working eme; the "e" is lost in noise easily.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"