Yep. AFAIK it was Telex (land-line based hard copy texting between terminals
for businesses) that added lower case letters to the keyboard.

73 Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Petiford
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 2:36 PM
To: k...@att.net; Richard Fjeld
Cc: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Carriage Return in SVGA text messages?

Re:  <But what really baffles me is that I  can not get it out of CAPS and
I've been accused or shouting and just being rude.>

That shows you that the folks who complain the most usually know the least!

Long time ago...going from memory here:

No small letters were available.  Up through the Model 19, everything used
Baudot code which only had caps.  RTTY was the same way in those days.

Figures key put the TX and RX TTY's into Figures mode (numbers, punctuation,
etc.), LTR key put them into letters mode. Figures and letters key was
always sent twice just in case the first one didn't decode properly...or at
least the letters key was.  That way you didn't leave the other guy in the
opposite mode.  Nothing worse than being in figures when the other guy was
sending letters!  ASCII came later with Caps and small letters, and no FGS
or LTR keys.  Model 23 sent ascii.  I don't think it was compatible with our
earlier TTY's.  I never had a model 23.  Went straight to rudimentary
computer code/decode instead.  Converted my homebrew terminal so it could
talk to my computer (expanded Cosmac Elf with tiny display and
keyboard...google it...wish I still had it).  Nothing like today, though.  I
THINK that gave me the option to use ASCII, but can't remember for sure.

MARK<cr><lf>