When I bought my first K3 I also had my FTDX-5000MP in the shack and
compared the 2 for over 4 months side by side using a YL-1000 amp with a
radio A/B button. The amp had 4 antenna inputs so was very easy to compare
both radios on an even playing field. As most all of you know the 5000 rates
just above the K3 on Sherwood's and ARRL's lists for receiver performance
but I was one that always had to see for myself after building a K2. I did
speak with Eric or Wayne about this at that time and was told that could be
addressed easily and would be...Wahoo here it is now and I have it
installed.

Very early on 2 things became quite apparent about the K3 it had poor
receive on 6 and 10m where the 5000's was excellent and I did like the NR a
little better on the 5000. But after 4 months side by side I decided to sell
my 5000/VL-1000 amp/Mu Tuning units and a bunch of other gear. One thing I
might add was the K3 I tested with was a stock base K3/100/2.7 filter/ with
an IF out transverter interface.

Ordered another K3 loaded with every option/ and the complete line including
the amp and tuner with an Alpha for legal limit.

I received my new 6/10m preamp yesterday morning and installed it. I had
been using my IC-9100 for 6/10m as it has excellent preamps in it. There was
a lot of 6m and some 10 traffic yesterday and in the evening. The Elecraft
6/10m does improve the K3 quite a bit over what it was for sure hope to know
more in a few days but so far a vast improvement.

Thanks again Elecraft for responding to your customer requests!

73,

Fred/N0AZZ

K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100

P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2