Stan,

Check the RX ANT setting in the menu. That is a per-band setting. If the RX ANT is set to ON for 40 meters, you will not hear much through the normal antenna connection, but will hear a good signal through the RX Ant jack.

If that is not the problem, ask again and tell us whether your K2 has the K60XV option installed or not.

73,
Don W3FPR