Hank,

My initial guess is that it is your Powermaster.
I have recently built a 4 State QRP QRPometer to use when testing QRP transmitters. It is an accurate meter as long as the waveform is a good sine wave (Good CW signal), but I have also discovered that it does not read correctly if the waveform is other than a clean CW signal (like PSK31 or RTTY). The cause is the detection methods used in the meter.

I cannot say that your Powermaster is doing the same thing, but I will venture a guess that it is related.

The K3 does a very good job of controlling power at the requested level, no matter what the mode. But then your question is valid - I don't know your particular answer, and I do not have a Powermaster meter to test with. I am only offering my suspicion.

73,
Don W3FPR