From: JACK WHITE [mailto:g...@btinternet.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:12 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Erratic SSB Power Output

Hello K3 Reflector.

I have an issue with my new K3/100 #7482. On SSB the peak power output isn't
stable. The SSB power output fluctuates about +/- 15% of where it is set, but
occasionally spikes to much more. The issue is on all bands but seems worse on
12/10m. I have tested the rig connected straight to a 1kW Bird 50ohm load and
have tried 2 different linear power supplies. The problem is present using the
two tone test feature, microphone or direct PC audio fed into the rig.

The real problem is: I set up my Acom 1000 at the legal limit here (400w) and
the power output is all over the place, sometimes 150w, then maybe 500w, then
300w, then all of a sudden the power can spike to 1kW+. I operate mostly CW.
Things seem more stable on CW, but compared to my previous Jap rigs (FT1000MP,
FT990, TS850) etc, the power output is very difficult to properly regulate. On
my previous rigs, I'd set them up to drive the Acom to a certain power level
and they'd run for hours rock solid without a peep.

I've had an e-mail exchange with a friendly Elecraft Guy which resulted in me
redoing the TX Gain calibration, he said the numbers looked good, but the
problem persists. I am curious to see if anybody else has this issue and knows
of a fix? As it is, the rig isn't much use to me.

Cheers

Jack G8DX