On 7/24/2013 10:59 AM, Sam Morgan wrote:

Do we need another separate EQ setting for Data Audio in the software?

At the beta test stage for the K3, it was learned that the audio transformers, which are unshielded, can couple a strong magnetic field into the audio circuits (most often from a big power transformer located on a shelf above or below the K3). I experienced a mild case of this myself, and my neighbor, K6XX, now an engineer at Elecraft, had enough coupling that the K3 regenerated the field and locked in TX.

Wayne and I talked about this. My first recommendation was to ditch the transformers, which are completely un-necessary if all the gear in the station is properly bonded together. Probably for marketing reasons (because most hams are convinced that transformers are needed), Elecraft chose my second suggestion, which was to program the TXEQ to roll off the low end sharply, with a cutoff on the order of 250 Hz. So, last I heard, that's what's in place for analog data modes.

73, Jim K9YC