I live in a small suburban lot, 65 x 125 +/- and have used simple vertical
antennas remotely tuned for years, several variations.  My main operating
consists of casual DXing, contesting, and a lot of Emcomm operating.  I
settled on this type of antenna because on my sailboat I have used a
remotely tuned back stay to great success.  Of course all that salt water
doesn't hurt either.  My shack is about 125 feet from my antenna so I have
a long run of coax and it had to be buried.

Currently I am using 55 feet of tubing purchased from DX engineering, on
their tilt over bracket with about 40 radials as long and straight
(although some are bent or curved) as possible. Non are cut to a particular
length.  I laid out the radials using an edger so they are just under the
sod.  Yes it looks bizarre for a few weeks until the grass covers over the
slits, but I have tried the yard wire staples and have found that they work
their way up in a few spots in my yard.

My current tuner is the MFJ 998RT.  Although it doesn't get good reviews, I
have had no problems.  In the past I have used SGC tuners and they work
flawlessly.  I purchased the MFJ because the 998RT comes with the power
injectors, and it is capable of 1500 watts tuning.

Currently I am using the KPA500 with this set up and have received very
good signal reports.  I just have to tune the vertical for the band
barefoot and then activate the amp.  Yes, there is an extra step that takes
time and in a contest a second here and there can make or break you.

So here's the bottom line, a vertical antenna is a very low take off
antenna when properly installed (good DX antenna).  Remote tuners REQUIRE A
GOOD GROUND SYSTEM.  Note the caps!!!!  The ground wires act like the salt
water, so the more the merrier.  I have found a simple vertical pipe
remotely tuned works far better and with less trouble than the several
commercial multi band ham antennas on the market.  Remotely tuning this
type of vertical is MUCH BETTER than the tuner in the shack and running
coax out to the antenna.  The SWR for coax effectively should be flat, so
it makes sense to put the tuner at the antenna, as that's what you have to
tune,not the coax.  Sometimes vertical antennas are susceptible to
vertically polarized QRM (human generated noise).  The K3 and KX3, because
of the phenomenal filtering and noise reduction circuitry can make signals
readable that were not with other radios I have owned.  Is this the
greatest antenna on earth? Certainly not, but it works and you will easily
make contacts even QRP.  It gives 80-10 meters and some 160 in a tiny foot
print at generally a 1.2 /1 SWR.

If you wish more input or construction details feel free to email off list
at my call at arrl.net.  73 de,

--
John Fritze Jr
K2QY