Major thank you to Elecraft's Gary and David.........I recently built a
KAT100-1 and while I caught most of my screw-up's, when I got the tuner up and
working I had a weird problem, using a 50-ohm dummyload every band looked great
with a SWR of 1.0 except 40 meters which was showing 1.2 !!! Y I K E S, I
couldn't believe an Elecraft kit would do this......and I was certain it was of
my doing.

So, I put a help question on this reflector and received some timely advice,
mostly that this could be the result of stray inductances and capacitances in
the tuner. I understood what the author of the advice was saying, but I wasn't
buying it, especially since I built the kit and knew it was something I did or
didn't do while building the kit - late into the night with a glass or two of
wine close at hand......hmmmmmm.

Long story short, I emailed Elecraft Support and got a reply's from David and
Gary. Gary understood what I was asking and really really helped me by
pin-pointing the areas of the circuit where I probably screwed up. I really
hate the shotgun method of troubleshooting a problem so I asked Gary for his
expert advice where to look for my mistakes and sure enough, using his advice,
I found a toroid that I hadn't completely cleaned the leads....maybe it was
that third glass of wine at 1 AM.....well, cleaned the leads and found a few
suspect solder joints, did the alignment again and YAHOO the problem on 40 mtrs
gone!!!

Between the Elecraft reflector and Gary and David you can't go wrong building
their kits!!

73's all,

k6sdw