On 29 Jul 2013 at 12:00, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 25
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:46:48 -0500
> From: Nate Bargmann <n...@n0nb.us>
> To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
> Subject: Re:  Fldigi/Flrig and KX3 control investigation.
>       (Before I re-invent the wheel!)
>
> * On 2013 29 Jul 08:03 -0500, g8kbvd...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > Hi All.
> >
> > Before I dive in, and go about creating or fixing drivers for people
> > who seem to have trouble with the KX3 and Fldigi(Flrig) etc, I took
> > a look at the current state of things.
> >
> > On Windows (XP SP3) with Fldigi (V3.21.70, the *Latest* is 3.21.72)
> >
> > The built in Hamlib driver (V1.2.12) for the K3 works as far as I
> > can tell (A plesant suprise, no audio connections, and no RF
> > launched, just basic rig control tried.)
>
> Dave did a bunch of work about six weeks ago to be able to include the
> current development branch of Hamlib in Fldigi for Windows builds.  The
> problem is a library we use in Hamlib and we are considering removing
> that library which should allow Fldigi to use Hamlib in the future
> without so much trouble.
>
> The 1.2.12 release of Hamlib was from before I bought my K3 and then
> fixed up a lot of issues in our Hamlib code.  Since Hamlib 1.2.13 the K3
> support is fairly stable and I may well change it "Stable".  I added the
> KX3 based on Wayne's comment at the time that the two radios would
> support the same command set.  However, the KX3 may benefit from its own
> definition as in the future some things (not used by Fldigi) will be
> slightly different as in a couple of places I rely on emulating button
> presses on the K3, but those will probably be different on the KX3.
>
> > Even the PTT via Hamlib
> > command worked, as did tuning and frequency control, also mode
> > changing but you need to select PKTUSB to get the rig into DATA A
> > mode.
>
> That is pretty much a Hamlib quirk of naming.  PKTUSB is intended to
> support radios that have a difference between AFSK and FSK.  Perhaps we
> may look toward either adding a new name or renaming this value to be
> more clear.
>
> > I also tried on Linux (Lubuntu with Fldigi and Flrig.)  That machine
> > has a later version of Hamlib (V1.2.15) also the needed driver is
> > listed as "K3/KX3 Beta", not just "K3".  Again, as it is, it all
> > seems to work at present, no code changing done at all.
> >
> > The K3 selection in Flrig works the KX3 too, PTT control, mode and
> > bandwidth settings seem to work OK.
>
> I appreciate the feedback.  For Fldigi users the radios are close enough
> that the same definition works.  For other software things like reading
> the S-Meter are likely different due to testing the K3 firmware version
> for SM versus SMH command support.
>
> > I will check things later when I get home (domestic management
> > permitting) on Win7 (Home Premium, 32 bit) if the place hasn't been
> [...]

Hello Nate (and others) long time etc.

Nate. Not sure if you remember, but you gave me guidance/encouragment some
time back, when I was trying to get into Hamlib, for other needs.  Sadly, that
opportunity passed by, as much caused by me using Cygwin on Win2k, and the
yawningly long build times as a result..  Also, as I found the Skanti radio I
had
that time, was also very slow to respond to commands, so.....

Anyway.

All understood re the above K3/KX3 history in Hamlib, function/filter naming
and
such, and indeed for the same version Fldigi, Hamlib's use with the KX3 is
about
the same on Windows (XP..7 and Linux.)

I'm going to look at the filter selection options, as the K3.xml file for
Fldigi does
much the same as Hamlib (selects RTTY filters, for "Data" modes)  OK for RTTY,
but useless for anything else (unless you like to monitor two PSK signals
perhaps....)

I'll see what I can discover and do with the .xml file first off, then report
back.
But for general use "USB" cut's it at present, so long as you have manually
disabled compression, and equalisation etc.   Tuning and TX/RX control all work
fine.

The better option for KX3 users, is to use Flrig as the radio interface for
Fldigi,
(select the K3 option in the radio configuration dialog) as it is posible to
get the
"DATA" filter set correctly with that, then AFIK any manually set equalisation
(TX
and/or RX) plus compression etc, is automaticaly disabled in DATA mode, but the
settings remain for when you revert to manual voice modes.

Select DATA in the filter control dropdown, then the bandwidth you want, and
use the IF Shift control to center it where you want.  Typically, 3000Hz width,
and 1500Hz center.  (The shift defaults to 1000.)
The KX3 of course, will go wider.

I'll look at the sources for Flrig, and see what I can learn from that, and
apply to
the .xml.   Any changes needed to the existing K3.xml specific to the KX3, and
I'll create a new KX3.xml file.   I'll also report back what I found, so those
with
access into Hamlib's sources etc, can consider adding a KX3 specific option
perhaps.

That's going to take me a little while, as I've got to re-learn the nuances of
Fldigi's RigCAT .xml file format etc.

73.

Dave G0WBX.