...And whatever you do, do NOT alternate amongst USB ports. If you do, your COM ports will change.

Believe me, this comes from experience at work programming and using diag software on radios. There is a way you can keep this from happening, I've never learned how to do it, I just plug into the same USB each time.

73,
Joel - KV4OY

On 8/2/13 9:51 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
The COM port won't show up until you physically plug the adapter in. Then it
might need access to drivers.  The Control Panel "Device Manager" applet
under COM & LPT ports should gain a port just after you plug the KUSB in,
and the port should go away as you remove the KUSB. That's how you can tell
what port is assigned.

GL!

Dick, K6KR

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred Jensen
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 19:35 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] KUSB - non radio question

I need to use my wife's computer in the NAQP CW, mine is in the hospital for
a fan transplant.

How do I get XP to recognize the KUSB [mine is somewhat old, I think it's
Prolific].  I've downloaded both FTDI and Prolific drivers from Elecraft,
they seem to install, but I don't see any "Ports" in the device manager.

I can live with just one port to the radio, I'll key on the DTR/RTS lines
and skip the Winkey.  Just need to find a way to get Windoze to recognize
the port ... any port ... I can make N1MM go there.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org