Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 4:24 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Front Panel Problem

Elecraft List,

I haven't used my K3 for quite a while as I have been playing
with the KX3 (the K3 has been sitting on the desk totally
disconnected from everything). Now when I fire up the K3, none of
the front panel buttons and dual-purpose controls work, except
volume and VFO A. I thought maybe the menu parameters got altered
somehow preventing the firmware from operating correctly, so I
tried to do a parameter initialization. But that failed because
the Shift/Lo knob is not working (The other dual-purpose knobs:
Hi/Width, Speed/Mic, and Cmp/Pwr don't work either). Therefore, I
figured the contacts between the front panel and the radio had
become corroded and weren't making a good electrical connection
anymore. So, I removed the front panel and inspected the pins.
Everything looked normal and I put the radio back together again.
Still not working.

Anyone want to make suggestions on what else I should try? I can
communicate with the radio using the K3 Utility and I did
reinstall the MCU firmware, DSP firmware and front panel
firmware. None of that helped. I still think there must be a
communication problem between the front panel and the radio, but
don't know how to fix it. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

73,
Mike ks7d

Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html