Mike,

The best use of the 'scope is during the transmit bandpass filter alignment - just connect the 'scope (with a 10X probe) across your dummy load, and use it to indicate the RF amplitude - that is faster then looking at the slower to change display on the K2. If you have the KAT2 option (or the KPA100), you can use the 'scope amplitude reading to calibrate the wattmeter for forward power. Use the peak to peak voltage and square it, then divide by 400 to give you the power (assuming your dummy load is a good one at 50 ohms pure resistive).

Other than that, you will not have to use the 'scope much at all -- of course if you need to do some signal tracing, it is the best tool to use. Hint for that, multiply the 'Expected' RF voltages in the manual by 2.8 to give the expected peak to peak voltage.

As far as frequency calibration, I would not believe the frequency counter in a 'scope would be sufficiently accurate for doing the dial calibration. You may want to defer the dial calibration until the last step after you have Part III done and then look at the K2 Dial Calibration article on my website www.w3fpr.com to set the 4 MHz reference accurately and achieve good dial calibration.

For the filter alignment, use the information in part 3 of the dial calibration article for use of Spectrogram to get the best results. If you do not have a good copy of Spectrogram, look for the download links on my home page - near the bottom.

The XG3 is excellent for setting the S-meter HI reading (CAL S HI)
Yes, you can use it when doing the receive bandpass filter alignment.

The K2 is designed to use minimal external equipment for the alignment and calibration. Most of the essential tools are built into the K2, and they work very well.

73,
Don W3FPR