>From the operating you plan, and having operated many different K-3s,
for
>SSB & CW I would suggest:
>
>1.  The standard 2.7 KHz filter for occasional SSB.  As others have
>mentioned, the roofing filter is to protect the DSP.
>2.  A 400 Hz, 8-pole (or 500 Hz-8 pole) filter for general CW operation
(I find
>anything narrower too restricting for general operating "band
awareness")
>3.  If you are inclined to contest or dig really deep for rare DX, add
a 200 Hz
>or 250 Hz filter, also.  (Crank it in--only when needed.)
>
>I'll defer to others about the better bandwidths for data modes.
>
>73 de K3YD

Hello Ivan, and welcome to the K3!

Knowing your interests, I'd agree with Blair above, and with Joe before
that.

Coming to the K3 from the FT-1000MP, I already had a particular liking
for the Inrad 400Hz filter for general-purpose CW and RTTY because of
its comfortable bandwidth and nicely shaped passband. The Elecraft 200Hz
5-pole filter is useful for really tight spots, and you can hear the
difference with strong signals very close in (some people may
disagree... but they probably aren't in Europe :-)

For casual SSB the stock 2.7kHz 5-pole filter performs quite well, using
SHIFT and WIDTH to control most of the QRM. However, I also happened to
have a 1.8kHz Inrad 8-pole filter from the 1000MP which needed only a
change of interface board to make it compatible with the K3, and I find
that very good for SSB contesting.

73 from Ian GM3SEK