Nothing wrong with add on boards. I've fitted a two port to my latest Dell PC. I also use home made serial cables made from CAT-6 to the Jim Brown K9YC recipe. Similarly no rfi and not a ferrite in sight.

Using one of the original Prolific adapters from Elecraft resulted in some noise on 6m. Interestingly, placing my home made cable in between the adapter and the K3 killed off the noise.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO