Alan,

I trust that Q12 in your post is a typo and should have been Q13. Q12 is in the receive Post Mixer Amplifier circuit and has nothing to do with Q11.

Q11 and Q13 often fail as a secondary failure when one or both PA transistors become shorted. Yes, I have seen Q11 explode.

Q7, Q8, Q11 and Q13 replacements are provided in the K2PAKIT, and I suggest you order one from Elecraft (the PA transistors are a matched pair).

That path to ground that you are measuring is through the PA transistor bases.

When you get the PA kit, replace Q11 and Q13 first, then without Q7 and Q8 installed, do a TUNE while measuring the DC voltage at the base solder pads for Q7 and Q8. You should find between 0.62 and 0.64 volts if all is well. Once you have made that determination, install Q7 and Q8, check for shorted collector to ground after you install the heatsink and then see what the output power is - all should be correct.

73,
Don W3FPR