Buy a board and plug it in - it will give you two (2) serial ports (some more and some less). Make sure to get a board that will fit your particular machine.

In my case, I built this machine and included a pair of serial ports and a Firewire port (tried a Flex radio). Have since removed the Firewire and trashed it. Talk about something out of the dark ages! Ever hear of USB3?

I personally feel the manufacturers should keep up with the modern computer offerings and refrain from using outdated systems to communicate between their products and a modern computer.

Laptop users are relegated to using a USB converter of some type. I have a couple that work - still, however, I feel the manufacturer should be keeping up with the times. If unable to keep up, then supply - at no charge - whatever adapter is needed. That way, the manufacturer's provided adapter is guaranteed to work (maybe?).

Bill W2BLC (proud owner of a full K3-Line)