100Mb ethernet has more than enough BW and low latency... uncompressed PCM at voice quality is easily done... existing ethernet interfaces exist with built-in processors, lots of memory, multiple serial data ports and a web server, all in a package that looks like an ethernet PCB connector.

The only issue would be cost (these gadgets currently run about $50 in single lots). One company even has a small carrier board that includes digital audio in 8 different formats, including mp3. I have been looking at adding some of these gadgets to some of my projects.

Larry N8LP

Geoffrey Gallaway wrote:

Simon Brown (HB9DRV) wrote:

I'm thinking of three major computer-related 'opportunities' for the K3:

[1] A true network device with Ethernet (maybe USB but this is overkill IMHO),
[2] Access to bandscope info via the network.
[3] Audio / digital pre-audio data via the network.

I agree that radios with external control interfaces (serial, USB, ethernet, I care not) are a great idea however there may be issues with the audio processing/management available via that same interface.. You're adding some delay/latency there and you're also adding complexity on the radio side to pump that analog audio out via a digital interface (possibly compressed). I'd rather just do it via ye ole analog in/out..

Geoffeg (KC8FDU)