To comment further on part of my past post:

To my way of thinking, if Elecraft could perfect this well, so that the
radio would never become obsolete, it would become the most practical and
popular radio of all.  Hardware upgrades would still be profitable. I think
Elecraft would have a hard time keeping up with radio sales.

" No sense replacing the whole radio when a circuit board can be replaced
instead.  I realize Elecraft radios are more complex, but I like to see the
use of daughter boards for certain things.  I'd rather send back a circuit
board for repair or upgrade than the whole radio."