Rick,

A dummy load is something that you connect to a transmitter which you want to test without using an antenna. It provides a good 50 ohm resistive load to the transmitter whereas an antenna feedline impedance can vary all over the place (transmitters are designed to operate into a 50 ohm resistive load).

When the transmitter is not in use, it is wise to connect the antenna output to a dummy load - the transmitter will be better protected from static surges coming in on the antenna feedline - those surges can damage the transmitter or receiver.

Do not exceed the power rating of the dummy load.

The Elecraft DL1 has a diode detector that allows you to use your DMM to measure the recified DC voltage and compute the actual power using the formula in the instruction manual.

Another use of a dummy load is on ATUs that have more than one antenna port - connect the dummy load to any unused port just in case that ANT is accidentally selected. You transmitter will be loaded with the proper load rather than transmitting into an open circuit (that can damage the transmitter)

73,
Don W3FPR